Higher education offers a diverse range of courses and qualifications, such as:
- first degrees ( typically lasting 3 years, often with honours)
- higher national diplomas
- foundation degrees
Many courses take place in universities, but plenty are also taught at higher education colleges, specialist art institutions and agricultural colleges. You can choose to study different courses depending on your preferences: there are thousands of options available that can complement your skills and interests.
Why choose a higher education pathway?
- Many higher education courses offer a vocational programme that is directly related to particular work areas, such as accountancy, sports science and teaching.
- A higher education qualification is essential for some careers like medicine, chartered engineering and architecture.
- A degree or HND can improve your chances of getting a fulfilling job and increase your financial earning potential over the longer term.
- Universities and colleges bring together students from a variety of backgrounds. This interaction can strengthen your understanding of different cultures and beliefs.
- Higher education develops important transferable skills, such as numeracy, communication and information technology, which can give you an edge in the fast-changing world of employment.
- Almost all higher education institutions have a wide range of extra-curricular and enrichment opportunities, including visits from distinguished experts and speakers. In addition to having fun, higher education is an opportunity to have your understanding and views challenged in a stimulating environment.